Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Binder Remix

Decked out in duct tape!
We're approaching that time of year when the contents of desk and lockers are brought home and dumped into our homes. Think green and take a moment to carefully sort through the debris and salvage what can be reused. If you discover a worn binder this duct tape project might be the ticket to get your teen away from the computer and crafting.
 Creative hands at work.
This project was born out of the desire to create a useful party craft for my neighbors' birthday party. The party space was reserved and held at Art Mind and Soul Studio. My neighbor had originally considered making duct tape messenger bags. As much as I loved the idea I was hesitant that it would be too complicated for the number of girls and the allotted time. My suggestion was to simply cover binders with tape. My hope was that the ready made smooth surface would encourage preteens to freely explore color and design with tape.
 The Birthday girl in creative action.
It worked like a dream, the girls were almost completely independent. My role was chief  tape un-sticker, and scissor blade de-gunker (hand sanitizer). The key to the success was having a great selection of colored tape on hand, including printed tie dye and plaid varieties. Many of the girls used a different color combination on the front and back of their binder and also took the time to cover the inside covers.
The smaller half finished binders in the center right were quick samples I whipped together with my sons binder cast-offs.
The studio had adhesive foam flowers on hand that made fabulous accents over the tape. I was thrilled that the girls enjoyed themselves and was really pleased with the variety of designs. Binders get a daily work out at the junior high, tricking them out in vibrant duct tape is not only fun but strengthens them as well. I wonder if any of the girls will write in them this summer?

3 comments:

  1. Creativity abounds!

    I came across this travel chalk mat tutorial today and thought you might be interested/inspired:

    http://littlepumpkingrace.blogspot.com/2010/05/oilcloth-chalk-mat-tutorial.html

    I'm also giving away some summertime salt dough bowl fillers at And Baby Makes Five, my latest creative passions.

    Hope you're staying cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I my self will do that for my senior year this year! I love crafting ideas and this was totally brought to my attention!! Have fun and Stay Creative!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails