Monday, November 30, 2009

Every little girl loves a Mermaid!

I had no idea the romance that mermaids held over little girls. Celia truly believes they exist, and is always disappointed when we leave the beach without a sighting. I've convinced her that they've swam to warmer waters south of Maine for the winter. When she heard that the last of the Navy families were leaving to Florida she was sure that they would be fortunate to see the mermaids, and just why couldn't her dad work for the Navy too?

I created the first felted mermaid for the Harpswell summer fair, they were a huge hit! This third generation of mermaids are larger and more sturdy, like everything we get better with practice. They're made of pure wool roving that I purchase at the Portland fiber Company, http://www.portlandfibergallery.com/. These wooly mermaids are equiped to can handle Maines frigid winters, and are sure to warm little girls hearts.



Wish me luck sneaking them out of the house Saturday morning!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi I LOVE these! I cannot wait to learn to needle felt. Where can I learn more?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails